Monday, June 15, 2009

Dylan is here!





























Dylan Jackson Luke was born on May 28Th at 8:42 pm. He weighed 7 lbs 6 ounces. I woke up at 4 in the morning with contractions that were 5 minutes apart. By 4:30, they were 3 minutes apart. At 5 my water started to leak and we headed to the hospital. By 5:30 I was already dilated to a 3. When I was dilated to a 5, I got an epidural and was in heaven. The anticipation was the worst part. The contractions were much worse that the shots in the back. I never thought I would be sleeping during labor, but after the epidural I was completely relaxed. Around 6 pm I was dilated to a 10 and they had me try pushing. There was still a little bit of my cervix left around the edge so I wasn't making much progress. My contractions got weaker and his heart rate was at 190 so it took a while. They had me wait longer and my epidural started to wear off. I didn't mind at first because I wanted to feel myself pushing so it would go faster. But then it wore off too much and the anesthesiologist had to give me another dose at the last minute. I felt a lot at the end and it hurt pretty bad, but I was able to push him out pretty fast. They had me try pushing again around 8 and he was out by 8:42. Over all, it wasn't too bad and I would totally do it all over again. When I finally saw my beautiful little baby boy, it was the most overwhelming feeling of love, joy, and relief. Then I was really tired and had to pass out for a while. I was really nauseous afterwards. When they had me try to get up my hips gave out and I got really lightheaded. I had to lay back down for awhile.
He is the most handsome little baby I have ever seen. He has a ton of hair and my nose. Over all he looks a lot like his dad did when he was born. It has been so exciting and I love being a mom. He had jaundice pretty bad and they sent us home with a Billi blanket (ultra violet light). I had been trying to breast feed, but it wasn't going very well. He was just to tired to get enough milk. They gave him a bottle the first night at the hospital. He hadn't had a poopy diaper in the first 24 hours we were home so we ended up taking him back to the hospital. His jaundice had gotten a lot worse. It went from a 10 to a 15 so I had to start pumping and giving him a bottle. I kept offering him the breast, but the more he had the bottle, the less interested he got in breastfeeding. He got to a point where he would start screaming and pushing away. We were both crying every time I tried so I decided to stop and just bottle feed him breast milk and we have both been a lot happier since. He is growing so fast and we are loving being parents. Brian is so good with him and seeing him as a father is very attractive. It is pretty crazy how fast your life can change. This little baby totally relying on us. It's a great feeling to love someone so much. Iam so excited to watch him grow up and teach him lots of fun stuff!

4 comments:

Peterson Family said...

Wow, CONGRATULATIONS you two! Dylan really couldn't be more handsome or adorable, he is such a perfect baby boy! I love all the hair! The labor sounded like it went pretty well but the poor little guy got jaundice? Well I hope he is doing better and your such a good mom to keep on pumping (I hated pumping, I kind of feel like a cow when I did it). Congratulations again, he is such a beautiful baby boy!

Jessica said...

He's really sweet! Congrats! Those first few weeks of adjusting can be kind of crazy. Its so nice to have a daddy to hand Baby off to for a bit so you can rest. Good luck!!!

Lindsay said...

Wow. what a handoms little face! You did a beautiful job! Congrats Kate!

Smiths forever said...

congrats to you guys you guys are so lucky. we love you